Hawaii
Emergency supplies selling fast as another storm threatens Hawaii
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) – Oahu residents aren’t taking any chances with emergency preparedness ahead of the latest round of severe weather.
City Mill has been working to keep shelves stocked with supplies.
“We’ve been selling a lot of sand and sandbags. We have a product called Quick Dam, and we have sold out at a couple stores. We’re trying to move them around so that everybody has something,” City Mill Merchant Iris Wilhelm-Norseth said.
Tape, batteries and flashlights have also been moving quickly among customers, along with pumps and rain boots.
City Mill and other officials are stressing emergency preparedness as recent storms have shown flooding can happen anywhere at any time.
“The little flash flood in Manoa kind of flipped people out too. That came out of nowhere. So people are very concerned,” she added.
Hawaiian Electric said it is also ready, following emergency preparedness procedures to ensure communities aren’t left without power for prolonged periods.
“It doesn’t take a named storm to really cause significant damage to the public infrastructure, whether it’s roads or other types of infrastructure, or the electrical, grid. We know that these heavy rains and very strong winds can have significant impacts,” HECO spokesperson Darren Pai said.
If the Public Safety Power Shutoff program is implemented, the utility said it would be a coordinated decision with emergency responders in the interest of keeping communities safe.
The Board of Water Supply is also asking customers to store water in case service is interrupted for an extended time.
And for storm supplies that don’t get put to use this time around, officials say not to toss them too quickly.
“This is also a great opportunity for people if they don’t use it to hold on to it because we are going into hurricane season starting in May again,” Wilhelm-Norseth added.
Copyright 2026 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Hawaii
Long-term care advocates says Hawaii lawmakers need to do more – The Garden Island
Hawaii
Hong Kong outrigger canoeists pass Kaiwi Solo test – and aim to tackle it again
Fifty-one kilometres of open ocean, with no land in sight for the first hour: that is the reality of the Kaiwi Solo, a 51km (32-mile) outrigger canoe race across Hawaii’s Kaiwi Channel, widely regarded as one of the most demanding open-water crossings in the sport.
“You cannot see a thing – you have no point of reference,” said Alex Hunter. “It is extremely disorienting and unnerving setting off. It’s not until about an hour into the race that you can start to visualise where you are heading.”
Earlier this month, Ekaterina Lukyanets, a 39-year-old software engineer, and Hunter, 38, water sports manager at Victoria Recreation Club, became Hong Kong’s only female and only male participants in the annual event, each paddling the full 51 km alone.
For Hunter, the race had long held a near-mythical status. “It is not a race everyone can enter, and it is not a race everyone can finish,” he said. “That highly coveted nature is what drew me to it.”
After seven years in the sport, including local competitions and a 128km team race in Tahiti, he decided last year that the time had come.
What followed was six months of disciplined preparation: four to five sessions a week, often starting at 6am, with monthly mileage exceeding 400km.
Hawaii
General plan bill advances in County Council – West Hawaii Today
-
Politics4 minutes agoContributor: The GOP is collapsing under Trump’s loyalty tests
-
Sports16 minutes agoFrom broken windows to delayed dreams, JJ Saffie is ready for Dodger Stadium moment
-
World28 minutes agoIsrael’s October 7 tribunal: Show trial of Palestinians or justice?
-
News58 minutes agoDrive slower, go electric, don’t drive at all? The best options for saving gas
-
Los Angeles, Ca3 hours agoMiley Cyrus to receive star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
-
Detroit, MI3 hours agoGrading Jack Campbell Detroit Lions Contract Extension
-
San Francisco, CA3 hours agoHeadlines, May 22 – Streetsblog San Francisco
-
Dallas, TX3 hours agoRanking the top 10 players on the Cowboys’ 2026 roster: #8 Tyler Booker