West
Perez Hilton predicts Menendez brothers could see public ‘turn’ on them after prison release
The Menendez brothers, who killed their parents in a 1989 Beverly Hills living room ambush with shotguns, have a new shot at freedom after the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office recommended reduced sentences for them this week.
They had previously exhausted all appeals and have been serving sentences of life without the possibility of parole since their convictions in the 1990s.
A shift in public awareness of how sex abuse impacts male victims, renewed scrutiny after a series of documentaries and TV dramatizations, and purported new evidence in the case all played a role in DA George Gascon’s decision, the district attorney told reporters Thursday.
But now that they have a real shot at freedom, pop culture expert Perez Hilton says the recent release of Gypsy Rose Blanchard, who pleaded guilty to taking part in the slaying of her abusive mother in 2016, may give a hint at what will happen next for the brothers. She became an overnight internet sensation after her release.
WATCH ON FOX NATION: MENENDEZ BROTHERS: VICTIMS OR VILLAINS?
Lyle Menendez, left, and his brother Erik pictured in their most recent mugshots, taken on Oct. 10, 2024. (California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation)
Prospects for money
Calling himself “Perez-stradamus” in a nod to the French astrologer Nostradamus, Perez predicts that the brothers will have a chance to rake in money on day one.
Just by telling their own stories, he said – even though they’ve been stripped of their multimillion-dollar inheritances under a state law that bars killers from profiting off their victims’ demise.
“They will have a smart team of everyone they would possibly need – an agent, a manager or a publicist, a business manager,” Hilton told Fox News Digital. “They will set them up financially for the rest of their lives.”
Lyle, left, and Erik Menendez sit with defense attorney Leslie Abramson, right, in Beverly Hills Municipal Court during a hearing on Nov. 26, 1990. (AP Photo/Nick Ut)
MENENDEZ BROTHERS PROSECUTOR ANNOUNCES RESENTENCING DECISION
The other side of that intense public interest in their case – is close scrutiny from paparazzi, Hilton predicted.
“It will be even more so than what we have seen the last few weeks and months following them around, guaranteed the paparazzi,” he told Fox News Digital. “There will be at least one or two photographers and videographers dedicated to them, wherever they end up in the United States.”
Exteriors of the Menendez brothers’ former mansion in 1989, showing the expansive pool. (Clark Fogg, retired Beverly Hills Police Department forensic specialist)
Love life
At least one brother may end up getting divorced, he predicted.
“Imagine that, like all of a sudden you’ve been locked in prison for 34 plus years, you married someone because you never thought you were going to get out – then all of a sudden you’re free,” Hilton told Fox News Digital. “You’re on social media. You quickly learn the ways of social media and, the thing is, even while in prison, they had women sending them letters. That’s how they met their wives. . . . Their DMS are going to be flooded.”
LETTER AT CENTER OF MENENDEZ BROTHERS’ BID FOR FREEDOM CALLED INTO QUESTION
Erik Menendez, left, and his brother Lyle, in front of their Beverly Hills home. They are prime suspects in their parents’ murders. (Los Angeles Times via Getty Images)
Public perception
The brothers have picked up a lot of support due to the recent attention brought to their case by streaming docuseries.
The same interest that could land them book deals and production contracts is going to get them paid, Hilton noted.
GET THE LATEST FROM THE FOX NEWS TRUE CRIME HUB
“There is a lot of goodwill for the Menendez brothers, [but] people, not all of them, but a lot of people will turn on them,” he predicted.
An undated photo of the Menendez family as it appears on-screen during a panel at CrimeCon 2024 in Nashville, Tennessee, on June 2. The brothers Lyle and Erik were convicted of fatally shooting their parents in 1989. (Michael Ruiz/Fox News Digital)
Buying a multimillion-dollar new home, or a flashy car could wind up rubbing people the wrong way, he said.
SIGN UP TO GET TRUE CRIME NEWSLETTER
However – unlike other disgraced Los Angeles residents, like OJ Simpson, Harvey Weinstein and, more recently, Sean “Diddy” Combs, the brothers can say that they were victims, too.
GYPSY ROSE BLANCHARD TAKES TO SOCIAL MEDIA AFTER PRISON RELEASE: ‘FINALLY FREE’
Gypsy Rose Blanchard, 32, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in 2016, when she was 24, for her role in plotting to kill her abusive mother, Claudine “Dee Dee” Blanchard, in their Missouri home in 2015 with help from her then-boyfriend. She became an internet sensation overnight after her release from prison. (Lifetime/ A&E)
“None of those people are victims,” he said. “Gypsy Rose Blanchard is a victim, and that’s one of the reasons why she’s been able to monetize as well as she has, upon her release from prison.
“So I think the fact that it’s been documented, according to this new evidence and according to their testimony from decades ago and consistent through today, they’ve been victims that will help them continue to get a lot of empathy from people.”
If Los Angeles Judge William Ryan agrees with the reduced sentencing recommendation, the brothers will be eligible for parole.
GET THE LATEST FROM THE FOX NEWS TRUE CRIME HUB
They still would have to get approval from the parole board and the governor before they could go free.
Read the full article from Here
San Francisco, CA
San Mateo supervisor urges CDC to step up protections amid hantavirus outbreak
(KRON)– San Mateo County Supervisor David Canepa is asking the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to step up protections at ports and Airports across the country, including San Francisco International Airport (SFO), after the recent hantavirus outbreak.
The outbreak began aboard a cruise ship in May 2026.
The ship outbreak has reached 12 cases, nine of which have been confirmed. So far, three people have died.
In California, five people, including one Santa Clara County resident, are being monitored for possible exposure. Another Bay Area resident is being monitored separately in Nebraska.
In the U.S., the CDC is monitoring 41 people for Hantavirus. That includes an additional 16 who were not aboard the cruise ship where the outbreak began, but were exposed on an April flight from Johannesburg with a woman who was infected on the ship and later died.
Canepa is fighting for concrete policies that would protect Californians, specifically calling out the CDC to create a clear process when outbreaks, similar to the recent hantavirus outbreak, begin.
Along with the CDC, the World Health Organization is emphasizing that the overall risk to the public remains low. So far, there’s been no evidence of ongoing transmission.
Denver, CO
Nuggets’ Nikola Jokic finishes 2nd in MVP voting; Shai Gilgeous-Alexander repeats
Two of the top three players in the NBA will face each other Monday. The other, according to MVP voters, will be watching from the couch.
Nuggets center Nikola Jokic finished in second place in the 2025-26 MVP vote, the league announced Sunday night. In what was widely regarded as a three-horse race, Jokic was a distant runner-up but extended his streak of top-two finishes to six consecutive years, joining Bill Russell and Larry Bird as the only players to do so.
Oklahoma City Thunder point guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander was crowned MVP for the second straight season. San Antonio Spurs phenom Victor Wembanyama, just 22 years old, placed third. He was also named Defensive Player of the Year last month. The Spurs and Thunder are set to compete in the Western Conference Finals starting Monday night.
The award is decided by a panel of 100 voters who cover the NBA and its teams for various local, national and international media outlets. Jokic appeared on all 100 ballots, earning 10 first-place votes and 48 second-place nods. He was third on 37 ballots, fourth on four, fifth on one.
Gilgeous-Alexander received the lion’s share of the first-place votes with 83. Wembanyama got five votes for first. Ballots are submitted before the playoffs begin, ensuring that only the regular season is taken into account — meaning that Denver’s first-round exit had no bearing on the tally this year.
Jokic averaged 27.7 points, 12.9 rebounds and 10.7 assists per game, marking the seventh time in NBA history that a player has averaged a triple-double. Jokic, Russell Westbrook and Oscar Robertson are the only players to accomplish the feat. Jokic has done it two seasons in a row.
He shot 56.9% from the field, 38% from 3-point range and 83.1% from the foul line, good for a 67% true shooting clip that ranked fifth in the league. At 66.5%, Gilgeous-Alexander was the only non-center to rank in the top eight. He averaged 31.1 points, 4.3 rebounds and 6.6 assists for the defending champion and first-place Thunder.
Jokic’s season was split in two parts by a knee injury he suffered on Dec. 29, 2025, in Miami. Before he limped off the court with a bone bruise, he was averaging 29.6 points on 67% shooting inside the arc and 43.5% shooting outside it. After he returned a month later, his scoring dropped to 25.8 points per game at a 60.3% clip from 2-point range and an inefficient 31.9% mark from deep.
His shooting splits were even worse in the playoffs — 55.3% from two, 19.4% from three as the Timberwolves eliminated Denver in six games. The Serbian big man struggled to contend with four-time Defensive Player of the Year Rudy Gobert for most of the series. The Nuggets failed to advance to the second round for the first time since 2022.
Jokic has won three regular-season MVPs in his career, in addition to NBA Finals MVP in 2023 when he led Denver to its first championship. He’s eligible to sign a contract extension this summer.
Want more Nuggets news? Sign up for the Nuggets Insider to get all our NBA analysis.
Seattle, WA
Caitlin Clark’s stats today in Indiana Fever vs Seattle Storm
Brian Ray describes the process of photographing Caitlin Clark
Iowa director of photography Brian Ray describes how he captured Caitlin Clark’s deep 3-pointer during the Indiana Fever’s game at Carver-Hawkeye in 2025.
Caitlin Clark and the Indiana Fever continued their 2026 WNBA regular season with an 89-78 victory against the Seattle Storm on Sunday, May 17.
Clark, a former Iowa women’s basketball star, and the Fever are 2-2 after the first four games of the regular season.
Here’s a look at how Clark fared in Sunday’s game in Indianapolis:
Caitlin Clark stats today in Indiana Fever vs Seattle Storm
- Minutes: 23
- Points: 21
- Rebounds: 7
- Assists: 10
- Blocks: 2
- Steals: 0
- Turnovers: 5
- FG shooting: 5-10
- 3-point shooting: 2-4
- Free throws: 9-9
Caitlin Clark, Indiana Fever upcoming games
- May 20: vs. Portland Fire, 6 p.m. CT, USA Network
- May 22: vs. Golden State Valkyries, 6:30 p.m. CT, ION
- May 28: at Golden State Valkyries, 9 p.m. CT, Prime
-
Sports3 minutes agoIndy 500: Counting Down The 10 Best Finishes In Race History
-
Technology9 minutes agoYour 401(k) is the new identity theft target
-
Business14 minutes agoWhy this Hollywood director thinks AI can save L.A. film jobs
-
Entertainment21 minutes agoPedro Pascal goes undercover for ‘Star Wars’ surprise at Disneyland
-
Lifestyle27 minutes agoHow Route 66 inspired Disney’s ‘Cars’ and Cars Land — and the ride that never came to be
-
Politics33 minutes agoNews Analysis: Trump spent two days with Xi in Beijing. Was he outplayed?
-
Sports45 minutes agoUCLA softball pummels South Carolina to advance to NCAA super regional
-
World57 minutes agoMoment of collision between two Navy jets at Idaho air show